Two positions available
Fixed Term Contract until 31 March 2022
Closing date: 13th August 2020
This post will be part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund.
There is a need for highly qualified Technical Officers at the University to provide advice, support and resource for companies during the technology-appraisal and technology-readiness development phases of projects to implement new technologies. Technical Officers will work with the Business Engagement Manager to enlist SME companies to develop technologies as appropriate.
Developing and implementing plans for technology transfer
- Work with the Digi-Rail project team, academic researchers, and other colleagues to agree technologies of application via the Digi-Rail project.
- Using the Digi-Rail strategy as a guide, agree the business opportunities for the technologies in question and plans to reach and enlist SMEs for projects, in the areas(s) of expertise of the postholder.
- Be involved in aspects of decision-making and planning for the Digi-Rail project.
Management of technology transfer projects
- For each project, work with the client to agree a technology transfer project and plan. Establish an effective project team by identifying team members within the organisation and by negotiating and liaising with the company’s senior management for team members’ time. Plan and manage the project accordingly.
- Advise and steer the SME client through the technology transfer processes, its mechanisms and other requirements, so as to ensure each project is completed on time and to budget.
- Act as an expert consultant in the technology areas covered, working closely with the academic and research staff at the University of Birmingham, and with the SME partner(s)
- Ensure records and information are collected and delivered as required to the Programme Manager and other project team members.
Management and Leadership
To support the project management and leadership by:
- contributing to the planning and organising of the programme and/or specific research activities;
- preparing papers and presentations for management groups and other bodies;
- undertaking related management/administration required to deliver the research objectives;
- analysing and interpreting the results of own research and generating ideas based on outcomes of benefit to the sustainability of Digi-Rail;
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong data and analysis skills
- Knowledge and experience in technology transfer, management of IPR and licencing.
- Awareness of the specific requirements of ERDF projects and willingness to develop expertise in these.
- Experienced in developing plans for major projects, ideally technology transfer/adoption projects.
- Excellent communicator, both verbally and in writing, including presentation of ideas and results and presenting complex ideas in order to make them accessible to others.
Qualifications and Experience
- Honours degree or equivalent in an engineering or related discipline with relevance to the railway engineering industry. A higher degree is advantageous.
- Proven skills in planning and managing complex projects, and negotiating solutions against potentially conflicting priorities in order to meet deadlines.
For the Data & Analytics role we are looking for:
- Experience of working in Python, Matlab, Nodejs or any other object-oriented programming language.
- Experience of developing data dashboards and visualisations for sensing and monitoring projects.
- An understanding of electronics and a willingness to build prototypes using basic electronics components, including programming on pi and microcontrollers.
- Willingness to learn and work with new software packages on-demand if required in specific projects.
For the Electronics & Sensors role we are looking for:
- Experience in carrying out projects using sensing and monitoring systems. Topics of particular importance would include: sensors, sensing technologies, signal processing, embedded systems, and wireless communications.
- Experience in electronics design: schematic design, circuit modelling and simulation, designing and prototyping PCBs.
- Hands-on approach to finding innovative solutions to a wide range of challenges.
To download the full job description and details of this position and submit an electronic application online please click on the Apply Online button below or visit our careers website; https://bham.taleo.net/careersection/external/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en&portal=101430233, please quote Job Ref 95062 in all enquiries.
We value diversity at The University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community
Valuing excellence; sustaining investment